Deep Fried Soft Shell Crabs
Crunchy and delicious, these deep fried soft shell crabs are perfect on a soft bun topped with your favorite condiment (cocktail sauce, mayonnaise, tartar sauce or try our Lemon Wasabi Sauce). Take it to next level on top your next Bloody Mary with this delightful little creature. Check out our article “Beautiful Swimmers – Chesapeake Bay Soft Shell Crabs”.
Deep-Fried Soft-Shelled Crabs
- 4 Soft Shell Crabs cleaned
- 1 1/2 cups Flour
- 1/4 cup Yellow Cornmeal
- 2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper fresh ground or coarse
- 2 Egg
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 1 tablespoon Hot Sauce optional
- 3 cups Canola oil approximately
- 1 Lemon
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, salt and pepper in a shallow dish.
- Beat the eggs with the milk and hot sauce. Set to the side in a shallow dish.
- Pour oil in a skillet until it reaches about a ½ to an inch in depth. Heat to 350 degrees.
- Dip the crabs in flour, then egg mixture and in the flour one last time. Shake off excess flour. Cooking to crabs at a time, gently lower into the hot oil. Cook on each side for 3 minutes. Set on a rack to drain. Drizzle with lemon juice.
- Serve on a hoagie bun with lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise. It is also delicious with tartar sauce, rémoulade sauce or the Wasabi Lemon Sauce.