KICKING COWBOY BEANS
Kick up your heels for these spicy baked beans.
Just enough heat to make you feel like your in the Santa Maria Valley.
This is one recipe in the Ranchers Feast article.
KICKING COWBOY BAKED BEANS
Servings 8 people
- 3 inch strips Bacon thick slice, each slice cut into ¼slices
- 1 cup Smokey Ham 1/4 inch dice (5 ounces)
- 2 large garlic cloves minced (1+ tablespoons)
- 1 cup White Onions chopped
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 teaspoon Dry Mustard
- 1 tablespoon Light Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Smoky Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoons Worchester
- 2 dashes Tabasco or more to your liking
- 2 cups Tomato Puree
- 1 cup Water
- 4 15 oz cans Pinto Beans drained and rinsed
- Chopped Tomato, Red Onion, Cilantro for garnish
- In a Dutch oven, over medium heat, cook the bacon until it is light brown but not crispy (about 4-5 minutes).
- Add the ham, garlic, onion, ancho chili powder, mustard, brown sugar, paprika and salt. Cook for 3 minutes, lightly toasting the spices.
- Add the water to the pan and deglaze, scraping up the brown bits off the bottom.
- Add the Worchester, Tabasco and tomato puree, stirring to incorporate with the spices. Bring to a simmer then reduce the heat to low and cook for 30 minutes, covered.
- Add the beans and cook for an additional 30 minutes, covered.
- Garnish with chopped tomatoes, onions and cilantro.