Translation: Tomato in Italian
Inspired by the infamous Caprese Salad, this alternative bun burger is made with Italian Sausage, Basil, Fresh Mozzarella and drizzled with Balsamic Glaze. The alternative bun…slices of Tomato. Check out the food article “An Alternative Burger Bun”. Also, try our other alternative bun recipes: Caribbean Chicken Burger and Bello Burger.
- 2 Heirloom Tomato
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Coarse sea salt & fresh ground pepper
- 2/3 pound Italian Sausage
- 1 Fresh Mozzarella Ball sliced into 4 pieces
- Balsamic Glaze
- 1 cup Fresh Baby Spinach
- 6 fresh basil leaves
- Cut a ½ inch slice off the top and bottom of the tomato (store the center of the tomato for a later use). Cut the woody stem area off the top of the tomato. Drizzle the cut sides of the tomato with a nice extra virgin olive oil and season with coarse sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Set to the side.
- Form the patties out of the Italian Sausage. Make them just a little larger than your tomatoes. Heat a CLEAN, OILED grill to 350 degrees, keeping the middle burner turned off. We want to cook the burgers over the indirect heat of the grill. Cook covered for approximately 8 minutes on the first side and 6 minutes on the second (timing may vary depending on the thickness of your burger). The burger should reach an internal temperature of 165-170 degrees.
- Build Your Burger: Bottom Tomato Slice, Sausage Burger, Fresh Mozzarella, Drizzle of Balsamic Glaze, Baby Spinach, Basil Leaves, Top Tomato Slice