Green Bean and Jarlsberg Salad with Toasted Almonds
Looking for a different salad. Here it is. Crispy cold green beans with the nutty flavor of Jarlsberg Cheese. The toasted almonds add another level of crunch. It's all brought together with a simple lemon dressing.
- 1 lb Fresh Green Beans clip off the stems
- 1/2 cup Almonds toasted
- 1/2 lb Jarlsberg
- 4 tbl Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tbl Fresh Lemon Juice approx 1/2 a lemon
- 2 tbl Fresh Parsley minced
- 1 Garlic Clove minced
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt, Sel Gris or Fluer de Sel
- In a large saucepan, bring salted water to a boil. Add the green beans and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until the beans are tender but not limp. Immediately drain in a colander and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking. Set to the side or refrigerate for later use.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the almonds in a single layer in a baking pan. Lightly toast in the oven for 8 minutes. Set to the side or place in airtight container for later use.
- Julienne the cheese into strips that are ¼ inch by 2 inches. Set to the side or refrigerate for later use.
- Combine all the ingredients and whisk to incorporate dressing. Can be prepared the day ahead. Just before serving, toss the green beans, Jarlsburg and almonds with the dressing.
SUBSTITUTIONS Almonds: Use slivered or sliced almonds. Lightly toast the sliced almonds. Jarlsberg: I love the nutty flavor of the Jarlsberg with this dish. However you can use any other Swiss cheese such as Emmentaler, Comte, or Gruyere.